We remind you of our invitation to the 5th La Plata International School on Astronomy and Geophysics (LAPIS) to be held on October 29th - November 4th, 2017, in the Facultad de Ciencias Astronómicas y Geofísicas de la Universidad Nacional de La Plata, in the city of La Plata, Argentina.
Programme (also in pdf) (pre-inscription form)
Sunday October 29
- Configuration of computational resources.
Monday October 30
International cooperation in Geodesy (Andreas Richter and Reinhard Dietrich)
- Scope of the school; IAG and GGOS; IERS (IGS, IVS, ILRS, standards and conventions); ITRS and ITRF.
GNSS for geodynamic research (Axel Rülke)
- Observation principle; Positioning strategies (D-GNSS vs. PPP); Modelling and corrections; Reference frame and consistency issues; Data access: IGS; Data processing (general procedure, position time series, software: Bernese); Evaluation of results and errors; Parameters to be determined (geodynamics, TRF); Applications.
- Practical exercises on GNSS.
Tuesday October 31
Satellite Laser Ranging (Luciano Mendoza)
- Observation principle; Modelling and corrections; Reference frame and consistency issues; Data access: ILRS; Data processing (general procedure, software: Bernese); Evaluation of results and errors (Helmert transformation, treatment of time-dependent correlation); Parameters to be determined (geodynamics, TRF, CM, orbit determination, gravity field); Applications.
- Practical exercises on SLR.
Wednesday November 1
Very Long Baseline Interferometry (Thomas Hobiger)
- Observation principle; Modelling and corrections; Data access: IVS; Data processing (general procedure, software, reference frame issues); Evaluation of results and error estimation; Parameters to be determined (geodynamics, EOP, TRF and CRF); Applications; VGOS.
- Practical exercises on VLBI.
Thursday November 2
Inter-technique Combination (Reinhard Dietrich)
- Basic observation constellation for space techniques; Classification of estimated parameters; Comparative summary of techniques; Parameters to be combined; Practical aspects (local ties, normal equation combination, weighting and accuracy estimation, CM variations, software); Applications (UT1/LOD, polar motion, TRF).
- Practical exersices on GNSS.
- Practical exercises on inter-technique combination.
Friday November 3
Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere Using Space Geodesy (Gunnar Elgered)
- Measurement principles and wave propagation geometries; Structure of the atmosphere; Ionosphere: refractive index; TEC observation (from ground and space); neutral atmosphere: refractive index; Temperature profiles (from space); Humidity profiles (from space); Water vapour content (near-real time vs. post-processed).
- Practical exercises on remote sensing of the atmosphere.
Saturday November 4
- Visit to the Argentine-German Geodetic Observatory (AGGO).
- Closing event.
The number of participants is limited. Pre-inscription is open until May 31th, 2017, completing this form. Until June 15th, 2017, the LOC will confirm the final list of participants and provide detailed information on the venue and accomodation in La Plata. More information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The original announcement can be found here (web) and here (pdf).